Monday, June 8, 2009

Yi, Thriller, Purity

I feel like I’ve finally experienced the real China.

Staff banquets are often a painful event for me here in Bijie, but this one was different. This time, the balance of foreigners to Chinese people was equal. This time, I felt renewed. This time, I connected. This time, I almost got sacrificed to the Yi god on a bonfire.

First: nature walk in white boots. Creatures encountered: millipede (ew!), ponies, gnats, butterflies, poop. Benefits: renewal, nature, flowers, fresh air, silence.


















Second: eating, singing, and people dumping some kind of vinegar-flavored beverage into my mouth. Outcome: cool, smiles, men “happy”. Favorite quote from the night: “It’s okay if his juice goes into my cup. We are brothers. He does not have AIDS.”


















Third: the sacrifice. People grabbing me, turning me, twisting me, making my arms and legs go in ways they aren’t supposed to bend. The fire blowing its ashes and sparks at me as if it knew I needed to engage in this purification ritual. A chant like two birds seeking their mates in darkness. Spinning. Turning. Channeling Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”? The dancing frenzies then mellows then frenzies again in a ocean’s tide of happiness and sorrow. Finally, emptiness. Release. It’s over.

















Fourth: dirty songs in the van.

China is beautiful on this night. Maybe I did need the purification ritual.

(For a better account, go here.)

2 comments:

  1. That line about AIDS is hilarious! I'm going to have to co-opt that.

    Looks like an amazing night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, sounds like a great night! Awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete